Articles

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Articles

Post by callum_walker » 16 May 2018, 15:10

I saw OLC's post in one of the threads yesterday which highlighted that Daryl Powell may have taken Cas as far as he can, well I thought I'd expand on it: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 77463.html

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 May 2018, 15:15

callum_walker wrote:I saw OLC's post in one of the threads yesterday which highlighted that Daryl Powell may have taken Cas as far as he can, well I thought I'd expand on it: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 77463.html

Spot on.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 16 May 2018, 16:06

And despite all of that only two teams have lost less matches than our apparently failing team and both of them with an intact spine as have the other ‘form’ team Warrington.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 May 2018, 16:11

Tamworth Tiger wrote:And despite all of that only two teams have lost less matches than our apparently failing team and both of them with an intact spine as have the other ‘form’ team Warrington.
Don’t get me wrong.
I’d be devestated if he ever left.
He must be frustrated though.
He’s been at the club 5 years with 1 trophy. Yes he’s took us to 2 finals, but it means nothing if you come away a loser.
I hope he’s happy and content at the club and wants to stay for many more years, but he must go home after games and want to kick the cat/dog/hamsters or whatever.
The man is classed as a top coach in the rugby league world, not winning or getting to finals won’t be doing his credibility any good from the outside.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 May 2018, 17:32

He's always said he's wanted to win a trophy with Cas before he moves on - and I mean a proper trophy.

Also, there's lots of negative articles appearing. How about a different spin of how Powell is still managing to have a competitive side and keep games close (the only blow out is Saints) despite losing the spine of his team:

No FB
No first choice halves
Hooker now moved into halves, as well as losing two wingers.

How can you say Aston has backfired when he hasn't played a game? He was never ear-marked as a starting first teamer.

And again lots of rumours portrayed as facts in this piece, without any real credibility or substance. How do you know Powell was disgruntled? When has Powell said he's frustrated and disgruntled or even appeared those?

Quite frankly, this article screams of taking hissy-fitting from the forum and trying to sensationalise it.
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 16 May 2018, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 May 2018, 17:36

HuddsTigers wrote:He's always said he's wanted to win a trophy with Cas before he moves on - and I mean a proper trophy.
Hope so.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 May 2018, 17:48

old cas lass wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:He's always said he's wanted to win a trophy with Cas before he moves on - and I mean a proper trophy.
Hope so.

There's no hope so. He turned down the England job to stay at Cas earlier this year.

"I'm pretty happy doing what I'm doing here and I need to focus on what we need to get right here."

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/n ... gland-role

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 16 May 2018, 18:08

Also, there's lots of negative articles appearing. How about a different spin of how Powell is still managing to have a competitive side and keep games close (the only blow out is Saints) despite losing the spine of his team:

No FB
No first choice halves

How can you say Aston has backfired when he hasn't played a game? He was never ear-marked as a starting first teamer.

And again lots of rumours portrayed as facts in this piece, without any real credibility or substance. How do you know Powell was disgruntled? When has Powell said he's frustrated and disgruntled or even appeared those?

Quite frankly, this article screams of taking hissy-fitting from the forum and trying to sensationalise it.
Agree - After the Hull game he actually said the opposite - 'I'm so proud of what we did here today'

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 May 2018, 18:10

I think the best years are ahead of powell and cas now jon wells is at the club we need a good full back obviously and a good wingman or centre im sure they will be brought in maybe other guys as well you cant keep turning signings nobody else wants into first teamers and i dont think he will be asked to
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 16 May 2018, 22:15

No FB
No first choice halves

Agreed

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 17 May 2018, 00:12

No FB
No first choice halves

Every point in this is correct. Just click bait articles

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 May 2018, 07:37

He makes some fair points in the powell article , but even if you disagree with what he says is there any need to rip into him all the time ?
Vince Lombardi

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 17 May 2018, 15:46

Well seen as how my last article went down like a lead balloon, I thought I'd try something different. All five players have been rumoured to be joining the club at some part of the season, but which of these five (if any) would you be keen for Cas to sign? https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 80427.html

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 17 May 2018, 16:06

Isn't gonna be Hardaker or Escaré. Salford will keep Evalds and i'm thinking Catalans will keep Mead. So with Mamo out of contract at the end of the year imagine it'll be him.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 May 2018, 17:35

tigerfeat wrote:He makes some fair points in the powell article , but even if you disagree with what he says is there any need to rip into him all the time ?
Not ripping into him - it's trying to be constructive. Some of the first few were very good and I felt Callum was getting a rough time off a few off here, who seem intent on dogging, mocking and bullying individuals they aren't particularly fond of.

But the last couple have been frustrating as it feels like they haven't been as a fan, rather than the journalist he's trying to be. Sometimes you have to separate whatever emotions you have/personal attachments and look at it from the outside in. And if you're going to make statements such as Powell's getting frustrated, then you need to be able to evidence it, otherwise it's just misinformed tosh.

As I mentioned in my comment, if you're looking outside in you'd be looking at how well Powell's doing in the circumstances, losing a FB at a vital part of the season and when most recruitment, budgets and salary caps have already been sorted. The injury crisis we've had and our relative salary cap spend to those above us. You also have to remember we had a disruptive pre-season with Gale and Roberts both coming into the fold after the World Cup, the latter which has said he only had something like 2 weeks pre-season training to get used to his new position. Hardly enough time to get rhythm in the spine, and some decent practice in.

And yet we've only lost to Warrington, Wigan, Saints and Hull in the league. We've also beaten Hull with us still to play the other 3 again. With a bit part squad, with injuries.

Powell has done a fabulous job in keeping us as a top 4 team. We haven't fallen off the wagon - so many fans ripped into us claiming that we'd do a Leeds and Warrington after doing so well, and be in the Middle 8s. We haven't. IMO, we can totally be regarded as a top 4 club and with a bit more luck in some decisions (Hull for example), we'd be better off than we are now AND with games in hand.

Therefore to rip into Powell saying his time is up, and he's taken us as far as he can is completely wild. We had an outstanding year last year that would be hard to replicate by anyone. We set a real high benchmark. The challenge is for the players to do it again. Powell is getting as much of a rough hand as the fans are with another off-season with another debacle outside of his control. But the evidence that we''re still very much in contention and the world is our oyster.

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 17 May 2018, 17:41

HuddsTigers wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:He makes some fair points in the powell article , but even if you disagree with what he says is there any need to rip into him all the time ?
Not ripping into him - it's trying to be constructive. Some of the first few were very good and I felt Callum was getting a rough time off a few off here, who seem intent on dogging, mocking and bullying individuals they aren't particularly fond of.

But the last couple have been frustrating as it feels like they haven't been as a fan, rather than the journalist he's trying to be. Sometimes you have to separate whatever emotions you have/personal attachments and look at it from the outside in. And if you're going to make statements such as Powell's getting frustrated, then you need to be able to evidence it, otherwise it's just misinformed tosh.

As I mentioned in my comment, if you're looking outside in you'd be looking at how well Powell's doing in the circumstances, losing a FB at a vital part of the season and when most recruitment, budgets and salary caps have already been sorted. The injury crisis we've had and our relative salary cap spend to those above us. You also have to remember we had a disruptive pre-season with Gale and Roberts both coming into the fold after the World Cup, the latter which has said he only had something like 2 weeks pre-season training to get used to his new position. Hardly enough time to get rhythm in the spine, and some decent practice in.

And yet we've only lost to Warrington, Wigan, Saints and Hull in the league. We've also beaten Hull with us still to play the other 3 again. With a bit part squad, with injuries.

Powell has done a fabulous job in keeping us as a top 4 team. We haven't fallen off the wagon - so many fans ripped into us claiming that we'd do a Leeds and Warrington after doing so well, and be in the Middle 8s. We haven't. IMO, we can totally be regarded as a top 4 club and with a bit more luck in some decisions (Hull for example), we'd be better off than we are now AND with games in hand.

Therefore to rip into Powell saying his time is up, and he's taken us as far as he can is completely wild. We had an outstanding year last year that would be hard to replicate by anyone. We set a real high benchmark. The challenge is for the players to do it again. Powell is getting as much of a rough hand as the fans are with another off-season with another debacle outside of his control. But the evidence that we''re still very much in contention and the world is our oyster.
Fair points HT and it's good to see you back. I wasn't saying that Powell is the problem whatsoever, I was just broaching the idea that he may never be able to get the team to hit the heights like 2017 again. A lot of our issues this year have been out of his hands entirely, but I still think decisions such as putting Shenton at fullback and not even giving Turner a chance have complicated our structures and plays. Too much swapping and changing in a key position has stifled our attack and the blame for that lies entirely with Powell

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 17 May 2018, 17:45

Wish he’d hurry up and get that bloody hamstring sorted.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 May 2018, 17:56

callum_walker wrote:
Fair points HT and it's good to see you back. I wasn't saying that Powell is the problem whatsoever, I was just broaching the idea that he may never be able to get the team to hit the heights like 2017 again. A lot of our issues this year have been out of his hands entirely, but I still think decisions such as putting Shenton at fullback and not even giving Turner a chance have complicated our structures and plays. Too much swapping and changing in a key position has stifled our attack and the blame for that lies entirely with Powell
Sometimes I think our expectations are too high.

The question I ask myself is that do I think anyone else could do any better with our budgets, squad of players and finances. And I keep returning to the same answer: No, I don't think we could.

Put it this way, I'd rather us be in the mix for the top 4 every season putting us 80 minutes away from a Grand Final than fighting for 8th!

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 17 May 2018, 18:23

HuddsTigers wrote:
callum_walker wrote:
Sometimes I think our expectations are too high.

The question I ask myself is that do I think anyone else could do any better with our budgets, squad of players and finances. And I keep returning to the same answer: No, I don't think we could.

Put it this way, I'd rather us be in the mix for the top 4 every season putting us 80 minutes away from a Grand Final than fighting for 8th!
Spot on. And we all know what'll probably happen when Powell goes (hopefully years and years from now)...we'll promote Orr.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 May 2018, 18:26

callum_walker wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

If we bring in a good full -back and a good winger -centre we can win the grand final next year thats my belief we shouldnt think 2017 is as good as it will get hardaker can be replaced
i dont think it was powells finest moment to decide ben roberts was going to be able to be out full-back and weve choped and changed since then may have being better to throw turner in from the start ..but thats hindsight
Vince Lombardi