The Secret of Daryl’s success....

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

The Secret of Daryl’s success....

Post by Mysterio » 14 Jun 2018, 13:36

I’ve often thought about what makes the ultimate Coach or Manager. Or person for that matter, and not just in RL.

In your opinion, what are the key ingredients and factors that contribute towards Daryl’s success with the Tigers?

By opening it up to the forum. I’m looking to generate some healthy chat and also see who the most insightful contributors to the board are. I have my reasons by the way.

One thing it isn’t about, clearly, is having a blank cheque book :lol:

Perhaps just as importantly; constructively, what areas do you think he can improve upon? Not that we’re all knowing demigods :D but I firmly believe we have the most knowledgeable fans in sport (RL as a whole) and feedback never hurt anybody! I’m sure Daryl will have a sneaky read ;)

Please supply examples where you can! Thank you.

I’ll kick off with what I genuinely believe to be one of his strongest assets. I think he is the most appropriately virtuous bloke we’ve been lucky enough to coach the club. On the back of that stems everything he seeks to instil into the players and club as a whole, and on the back of that comes what we continue to build.

I honestly think we’ll conquer the SL within the next 3 seasons. The standards Daryl and his BACKROOM TEAM (another strength is how he has assembled this too) continue to set and the ethos and culture about the place hasn’t developed overnight. I’ve lost count of the amount of ‘wrong uns’ he’s shown the door to, but I hasten to add after giving them opportunity to join the revolution.

Go!
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: The Secret of Daryl’s success....

Post by cogito ergo sum » 14 Jun 2018, 15:43

Think it's a culture thing. Steve Gill set the tone, DP is local and can man-manage. He is also strong with a fairly ruthless streak. We got him at a good time following his spells at Leeds and Feath, at the top of his game. Additionally Orr and Sheridan complement DP brilliantly.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Jun 2018, 17:44

His main asset for me is his man management. I think he knows how to build the right attitude with his players, he likes to get to know them inside out and understand what makes them tick. I think he's also very meticulous when it comes to recruitment in identifying the skills he wants and needs. Outside of that, I think he knows when to put an arm round, when to criticise them (a la Saints) and when to praise them even in defeat. He's quite happy protecting players too and giving them new chances if they show him that they're willing to change (Rangi).

I also think he likes to recruit players with a point to prove or a bit of hunger and desire to succeed. He's quite willing to take a punt on someone who's on the outer, gone round a few clubs and hasn't settled (Cook, McShane) or is still unproven to some extent. He gets them to push themselves and anyone not applying that attitude quickly gets found out and doesn't stay. He's quickly dispensed of the likes of Scott Moore and Ben Crooks, as an example.

He's also got a very good record at developing players - he was part of the Leeds set-up that brought through their golden era. Albeit we've not had loads come through at Cas but I think we were firmly behind the eight ball 5 years ago when SG took over and there was a lot needed to be done to the Academy including funding. However, he's brought in some fairly young players (McMeeken, Minikin) and not only made them SL players but top 4 players too.

I think one of the other pillars is competition. We've always recruited a deep squad and I think that plays a part in all the above factors. You look at one of his first seasons when we had the likes of Channing and Gibson and although they weren't amazing, they did a solid enough job covering us.

His down sides? It's hard to say without knowing full detail. I think the one thing is that we would all like to see a real big signing come in and we may have missed out on 1/2 who on reflection would have offered something above some of our current recruits. I think he's happy going along with the development, unproven, hungry kind of angle mentioned above. Part of me wonders whether it's something which could bite him on the bum on occasions. But we'll never know whether that's just budgetary reasons or not, appeal of the club vs others or some other factors.

The one thing we all want to see - and I'm sure he does too - is winning a major comp. In his time at Fev they won the LLS in the Championship 3 seasons running (and a 4th when he left for us in half way through 2013) only winning the GF once in 2011 during the licensing period.

We've obviously lost a CC and a GF but have 1 LLS to our name. I'd love for him to get this mantra off his back from rival fans that he bottles things in the big games.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 14 Jun 2018, 18:41

In short, his ability to recognise the skill set that any player has and how that can be honed to bring that player to realise his full potential!
Danny Boy

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Jun 2018, 18:55

HuddsTigers wrote:His main asset for me is his man management. I think he knows how to build the right attitude with his players, he likes to get to know them inside out and understand what makes them tick. I think he's also very meticulous when it comes to recruitment in identifying the skills he wants and needs. Outside of that, I think he knows when to put an arm round, when to criticise them (a la Saints) and when to praise them even in defeat. He's quite happy protecting players too and giving them new chances if they show him that they're willing to change (Rangi).

I also think he likes to recruit players with a point to prove or a bit of hunger and desire to succeed. He's quite willing to take a punt on someone who's on the outer, gone round a few clubs and hasn't settled (Cook, McShane) or is still unproven to some extent. He gets them to push themselves and anyone not applying that attitude quickly gets found out and doesn't stay. He's quickly dispensed of the likes of Scott Moore and Ben Crooks, as an example.

He's also got a very good record at developing players - he was part of the Leeds set-up that brought through their golden era. Albeit we've not had loads come through at Cas but I think we were firmly behind the eight ball 5 years ago when SG took over and there was a lot needed to be done to the Academy including funding. However, he's brought in some fairly young players (McMeeken, Minikin) and not only made them SL players but top 4 players too.

I think one of the other pillars is competition. We've always recruited a deep squad and I think that plays a part in all the above factors. You look at one of his first seasons when we had the likes of Channing and Gibson and although they weren't amazing, they did a solid enough job covering us.

His down sides? It's hard to say without knowing full detail. I think the one thing is that we would all like to see a real big signing come in and we may have missed out on 1/2 who on reflection would have offered something above some of our current recruits. I think he's happy going along with the development, unproven, hungry kind of angle mentioned above. Part of me wonders whether it's something which could bite him on the bum on occasions. But we'll never know whether that's just budgetary reasons or not, appeal of the club vs others or some other factors.

The one thing we all want to see - and I'm sure he does too - is winning a major comp. In his time at Fev they won the LLS in the Championship 3 seasons running (and a 4th when he left for us in half way through 2013) only winning the GF once in 2011 during the licensing period.

We've obviously lost a CC and a GF but have 1 LLS to our name. I'd love for him to get this mantra off his back from rival fans that he bottles things in the big games.
I think youve nailed it with that ...i do believe when he gets the monkey off his back of not winning a showpiece final others will follow quickly
In three years time i believe he will have a couple under his belt at least with cas
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

NotaTiger

Post by NotaTiger » 14 Jun 2018, 22:44

Daryl Powell..biggest bottle job in super league!! Lee Radford [REMOVED] all over him!!

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 15 Jun 2018, 07:11

NotaTiger wrote:Daryl Powell..biggest bottle job in super league!! Lee Radford [REMOVED] all over him!!
Nice first post. Take it your a Hull fan? Guaranteed if Powell had Radfords funds and facilities at Hull, he would have won a Superleague by now.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 15 Jun 2018, 08:30

InTheKnow wrote:
NotaTiger wrote:Daryl Powell..biggest bottle job in super league!! Lee Radford [REMOVED] all over him!!
Nice first post. Take it your a Hull fan? Guaranteed if Powell had Radfords funds and facilities at Hull, he would have won a Superleague by now.
And if Radford had Powell's funds and facilities he would have lasted about quarter of a season.

bobby

Post by bobby » 15 Jun 2018, 17:16

It's obvious to me what makes dp an amazing coach. He has a secret magic wand.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 15 Jun 2018, 17:31

bobby wrote:It's obvious to me what makes dp an amazing coach. He has a secret magic wand.
He must have lost it grand final day then.

bobby

Post by bobby » 15 Jun 2018, 19:46

He thought he didn't need it that day.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 15 Jun 2018, 22:58

Malfoy Hardaker broke his wand.