Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by duke street 10 » 16 Oct 2018, 12:23

Its a shame we don't appear to have a couple of real "leaders" in the current squad somebody who will lift them when things go wrong in the big games.

Say what you like about Sean O'Loughlin at Wigan,but his presence in the matchday playing squad seems to galvanize them. Look at previous Grand final winners...Leeds had Sinfield & Peacock, Saints were spoilt for choice with Joynt,Cunningham,Sculthorpe etc. Bradford had Jimmy Lowes & Robbie Paul.

They need not be the most talented players in the squad,but so dogged yet smart they find a way and inspire the others. Out of the current crop maybe Watts & Mcshane in the pack could do this, Millo sadly maybe on a downward curve.

Anyway i expect the coaches to make it painful for them in pre season...they aren't 12,000 miles away this November!

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 16 Oct 2018, 13:11

We need an outside back. Regardless of anything else.

If we got a high quality one, most would be happy with that.

We cannot and should not go with what we currently have. Obviously all my opinions.

In terms of freeing up space, and this is based purely on cap reasons and nothing too personal, I would not be devastated if we had to free :

Roberts
Ellis
Springer (he’s gone as far as I know, I heard he was offered to Widnes at some point quite a few months ago)
Maher
Aston
Green
Douglas

Roberts is the key decision IMO. Without doubt he could be a great signing for London, who may even offer him a 3 yr deal to get it over the line. Thus freeing up a quota spot and giving Trueman a commitment too. Hull KR, Widnes, Bradford, Toronto, they all could do the same. We may even have to contribute 30% towards his salary for 12 months to sweeten the deal. Who knows, but, we simply need to be ruthless wherever possible.

It’s such a balancing act as we need to mantain the culture we already have and show care to the players; any deal needs to work for them too.

The above list should free up over £250k on the cap!

Finally, and I’ll be shot down for this, I’d CONSIDER a deal for Mcmeeken OR Holmes (to include a healthy fee if so) too. I said consider, and depending upon other options open to us too.

We could then also go for a project signing in the pack again too, someone like Tangata at Halifax.
Audacter Et Sincere

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 16 Oct 2018, 13:35

We could then also go for a project signing in the pack again too, someone like Tangata at Halifax.[/quote]
Signed for Widnes

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 16 Oct 2018, 13:53

We could do with Toronto being interested in Springer and throwing silly money at us.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 16 Oct 2018, 19:01

Mysterio wrote:We need an outside back. Regardless of anything else.

We cannot and should not go with what we currently have. Obviously all my opinions.

In terms of freeing up space, and this is based purely on cap reasons and nothing too personal, I would not be devastated if we had to free :

Roberts
Ellis
Springer (he’s gone as far as I know, I heard he was offered to Widnes at some point quite a few months ago)
Maher
Aston
Green
Douglas

Roberts is the key decision IMO. Without doubt he could be a great signing for London, who may even offer him a 3 yr deal to get it over the line. Thus freeing up a quota spot and giving Trueman a commitment too. Hull KR, Widnes, Bradford, Toronto, they all could do the same. We may even have to contribute 30% towards his salary for 12 months to sweeten the deal. Who knows, but, we simply need to be ruthless wherever possible.

It’s such a balancing act as we need to mantain the culture we already have and show care to the players; any deal needs to work for them too.

Finally, and I’ll be shot down for this, I’d CONSIDER a deal for Mcmeeken OR Holmes (to include a healthy fee if so) too. I said consider, and depending upon other options open to us too.

We could then also go for a project signing in the pack again too, someone like Tangata at Halifax.
Green has already gone. Signed a 1 year deal with Bradford in August 2018, following his initial loan deal.

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 16 Oct 2018, 20:22

Tiger53 wrote:
Mysterio wrote:We need an outside back. Regardless of anything else.

Roberts
Ellis
Maher
Aston
Green
Douglas

Green has already gone. Signed a 1 year deal with Bradford in August 2018, following his initial loan deal.
Douglas also already gone, signed at Doncaster

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 16 Oct 2018, 20:31

Also, and I’m the first to be disappointed by big Will for what he fails to do with his size (so don’t shoot me for this), he’s only 22 so sometimes I don’t know if we need to give him a break. He is possibly a victim of the lack of reserves and I suspect he has something that DP sees as being potential for the future.

I see a lot of comments saying that if he can’t do it now he’ll never be able to, I think people forget his age as he’s been around the first team for a couple of years now.

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 16 Oct 2018, 21:02

He has never got any better in years he has been at cas there is only so long you can wait yes he is only 22 but we should have seen him get better but nothing shame

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 17 Oct 2018, 20:44

Just throwing it out there and any it’s another drug troubles past player but what’s peoples thoughts on signing Thomas minns once his bans up?i thought he was quality every time I’d seen him,strong,good offload and knows where tryline is.could solve our centre troubles?

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 17 Oct 2018, 20:50

Scoopage wrote:Just throwing it out there and any it’s another drug troubles past player but what’s peoples thoughts on signing Thomas minns once his bans up?i thought he was quality every time I’d seen him,strong,good offload and knows where tryline is.could solve our centre troubles?
No chance, apparently hangs about with same lads as out last troublesome player so will never change in my eyes.
🐯 COYF!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 18 Oct 2018, 12:58

I beginning to think were going to sign nobody and make do with what we have.

Saint, Leeds, Wire, Wakey have all made good signings so far. Thrown in Wigan, Catalan and Huddersfield and us and its going to be a real scrap for the top 5 in 2019

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 18 Oct 2018, 13:38

fords wrote:I beginning to think were going to sign nobody and make do with what we have.

Saint, Leeds, Wire, Wakey have all made good signings so far. Thrown in Wigan, Catalan and Huddersfield and us and its going to be a real scrap for the top 5 in 2019
Peter M
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Watts
Macca
Millo
Holmes/foster
Meeks
Massey

Jsl
Moors
Clark/cook
Milner

That's still a very good lineup that can beat any team
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 18 Oct 2018, 14:08

the machine wrote:
fords wrote:I beginning to think were going to sign nobody and make do with what we have.

Peter M
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Watts
Macca
Millo
Holmes/foster
Meeks
Massey

Jsl
Moors
Clark/cook
Milner

I, like almost everyone on here, see that three quarter line and fear for 2019 as the season we drop from the top 4

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Oct 2018, 14:15

Say what you want about the last few months of Websters career with us, but with him missing, we have lost a big physical presence in the centre. I fear we will be heavily targeted down that Minikin/Clare side if they are to be next years duo.

I would feel much safer seeing Foster and Minikin there personally.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 18 Oct 2018, 15:31

heritage1926 wrote:Say what you want about the last few months of Websters career with us, but with him missing, we have lost a big physical presence in the centre. I fear we will be heavily targeted down that Minikin/Clare side if they are to be next years duo.

I would feel much safer seeing Foster and Minikin there personally.
I think DP has said he will go with Minikin at centre, but if we are hammered down that side (due to Minikins lack of size) I can see Foster being used in the centres.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 18 Oct 2018, 15:37

Be interesting to see minikins physique in 2019.apparently bulking up in preseason

North Leeds Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by North Leeds Tiger » 18 Oct 2018, 16:46

He's on 2 Bhajis, 2 Samosas
And a Chicken Jalfrezi plus Rice and 4 Chapatis everyday
That should do it !,

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Oct 2018, 17:35

I don't think its much to ask for another center to replace Big Jake, but were we get one from is hard to say anyone with good centers in super league will keep hold of them, I have not watched enough of the champion ship to see if there is anyone there, Robbie Storie Egodo and Gill are on our books

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 18 Oct 2018, 18:06

the machine wrote: Peter M
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Watts
Macca
Millo
Holmes/foster
Meeks
Massey

Jsl
Moors
Clark/cook
Milner

Id be happy with that line up if we could field it every week but u take any 2players out of that back line through injury and we're a lot weaker. Im happy to give Minikin a go at centre.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 18 Oct 2018, 18:56

the machine wrote:

Peter M
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Watts
Macca
Millo
Holmes/foster
Meeks
Massey

Jsl
Moors
Clark/cook
Milner

Them set of three quarters would be the weakest of any side who will make the top 8. We desperately need some quality and pace in there.
We were not good enough last year and with other sides bringing in some quality recruits we will be standing still and if we want to be a play offs side that isn't an option and I am sure Wells and Powell will be doing all they can to try and bring in one or two additions to keep us competitive at the top end of the table.