Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Flat Capper » 12 Nov 2018, 13:29

Well, after 22 pages of forum speculation we do not appear to be any clearer to signing any new players and for me that is a worry.

I know we have the basis of a good squad but if you stand still in any sport you end up going backwards. A prime example of this are Spurs in football. They had a reasonable season last time out but have made no signings and for me, do not appear to be as competitive this season. They are still a reasonably good side but I doubt they'll repeat last season's 'success'.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 12 Nov 2018, 13:47

I look at Saints and I'm very fearful for next season.

They've managed to replace Barba with Coote. They've Wes Naiqama who's an exciting player. Then you look at the progress that Makinson and Thompson have made, 2 massive players for England, as well as Percival who for me, was the best centre in the league last year, no doubt about it. They've also got Walmsley to come back in fit and fresh. They'll be a scary proposition next season and certainly aren't messing around.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 Nov 2018, 14:01

heritage1926 wrote:I look at Saints and I'm very fearful for next season.

They've managed to replace Barba with Coote. They've Wes Naiqama who's an exciting player. Then you look at the progress that Makinson and Thompson have made, 2 massive players for England, as well as Percival who for me, was the best centre in the league last year, no doubt about it. They've also got Walmsley to come back in fit and fresh. They'll be a scary proposition next season and certainly aren't messing around.
Exactly.
Perhaps HT can tell us why she thinks we can’t do similar. Would be interested to read actually.
Audacter Et Sincere

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 12 Nov 2018, 14:22

Fumper27 wrote:
fords wrote:
jackknife wrote:So if we start the season with

Peanut
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Eden

That to me is fine but if any get injured we're a very weakened side imo
Holy sh*t i'm so glad your not in charge of recruitment ](*,) . That's prob about 7th best in SL next year

Leeds
Wigan
Wire
Wakey
Saints
Huddersfield

All have better.
Hull also have a better back line the. That lists in Faraimo, Tuimivave, Griffin :shock: and Talanoa
That's the back line that hit thumped by lots each week. You need forwards and half backs as well.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 12 Nov 2018, 14:27

I can see lots of people are worried and fearful. Come on let's get some reality here.

We are waiting for the player merry go round to start. Only a few teams have space on the cap or willing to spend. So you have to wait until they spend before getting space on your own cap.

Ultimately we have a right set of forwards and half backs.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Nov 2018, 14:41

Oh please don't start with the no space on the salary cap bunkem we almost signed sau obviously we got space and obviously we feel we need a centre
We appear to have taken the position oh well If we don't sign anybody foster will play there prity poor by cas but the speccies will take it on the chin seen it all before
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Kenilworth Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Kenilworth Tiger » 12 Nov 2018, 14:56

tigerfeat wrote:Oh please don't start with the no space on the salary cap bunkem we almost signed sau obviously we got space and obviously we feel we need a centre
We appear to have taken the position oh well If we don't sign anybody foster will play there prity poor by cas but the speccies will take it on the chin seen it all before
How do you know we nearly signed Sau
I don't have a favourite second team - it's Cas 100% for me

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 12 Nov 2018, 15:05

tigerfeat wrote:Oh please don't start with the no space on the salary cap bunkem we almost signed sau obviously we got space and obviously we feel we need a centre
Powell has said Minikin is centre, the fans are saying foster
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Nov 2018, 15:47

Kenilworth Tiger wrote:
How do you know we nearly signed Sau
ok rumored to have tryd to sign him,even if that was bogus information you have to believe we have salary cap space left every team tries to upgrade for next season a combo of clare-minikin would be one of the weakest in the league in my honest opinion
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Nov 2018, 15:57

mart0042 wrote:I can see lots of people are worried and fearful. Come on let's get some reality here.

We are waiting for the player merry go round to start. Only a few teams have space on the cap or willing to spend. So you have to wait until they spend before getting space on your own cap.

the forwards were not good enough to win a grand final for the last two years some of them need to step up a lot if we want to win a grand final next year i would have been looking to make a upgrade in the forwards but there seems little chance of that
it depends what you want to settle for... with powell in charge i think we will be in the top five next season
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 12 Nov 2018, 16:10

tigerfeat wrote:
mart0042 wrote:I can see lots of people are worried and fearful. Come on let's get some reality here.

the forwards were not good enough to win a grand final for the last two years some of them need to step up a lot if we want to win a grand final next year i would have been looking to make a upgrade in the forwards but there seems little chance of that
it depends what you want to settle for... with powell in charge i think we will be in the top five next season
Watts
Macca
Millo/jesse
Holmes/wardle
Meeks/foster
Milner/massey

Moors
Clark
Cook

Nothing wrong with that set of forwards for next season and we certainly don't want to be wasting any of the little cap space we have on a forward
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 12 Nov 2018, 17:37

the machine wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:

Watts
Macca
Millo/jesse
Holmes/wardle
Meeks/foster
Milner/massey

Moors
Clark
Cook

Nothing wrong with that set of forwards for next season and we certainly don't want to be wasting any of the little cap space we have on a forward
That set of forwards were certainly not up to the challenge of the top clubs come the big games, more like pussycats than tigers.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 Nov 2018, 17:41

the machine wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:

Watts
Macca
Millo/jesse
Holmes/wardle
Meeks/foster
Milner/massey

Moors
Clark
Cook

Think Clark and foster could step up a lot next year but I stick by my point in the big game for the second year running some of them weren't up to it and again in my opinion some have to step up a lot if were going to win next year's grand final
Vince Lombardi

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Nov 2018, 17:56

They weren’t all available though, particularly Junior, Foster and Cook I think for that game. A lot of go forward missing there

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 12 Nov 2018, 18:06

tigerfeat wrote:
the machine wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:

Watts
Macca
Millo/jesse
Holmes/wardle
Meeks/foster
Milner/massey

Moors
Clark
Cook

Think Clark and foster could step up a lot next year but I stick by my point in the big game for the second year running some of them weren't up to it and again in my opinion some have to step up a lot if were going to win next year's grand final
It's a mental issue not a quality issue though imo, yes I've said it before and I'll repeat myself, we need to acquire the services of a sports psychologist to get us over that last hurdle, that would be the signing with the biggest impact imo

Michael Jordan

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 12 Nov 2018, 18:49

Mysterio wrote:

Exactly.
Perhaps HT can tell us why she thinks we can’t do similar. Would be interested to read actually.
Not sure why you are trying to highlight someone’s gender on here, and wrongly to boot. Just like school yard bullying, as it isn’t the first or second time.

With next years squad I hope we get some consistency with players playing and not decimated with injuries. Not sure if it was 2016 or 2015 where we towed with injuries all year, if it was 2016 then 2017 didn’t turn out all too bad. Hoping 2019 can be similar.

Long live the Tigers!!!

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 12 Nov 2018, 21:48

da_jimbob_7 wrote:
Mysterio wrote:

Exactly.
Not sure why you are trying to highlight someone’s gender on here, and wrongly to boot. Just like school yard bullying, as it isn’t the first or second time.

With next years squad I hope we get some consistency with players playing and not decimated with injuries. Not sure if it was 2016 or 2015 where we towed with injuries all year, if it was 2016 then 2017 didn’t turn out all too bad. Hoping 2019 can be similar.
Glad someone else has noticed Mysterio bullying Hudds. I don’t always agree with Hudds posts but he’s entitled to his opinion and put them on here which is what a forum is for. Surprised the mods haven’t picked up on it

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 12 Nov 2018, 22:51

the machine wrote:
It's a mental issue not a quality issue though imo, yes I've said it before and I'll repeat myself, we need to acquire the services of a sports psychologist to get us over that last hurdle, that would be the signing with the biggest impact imo
I agree with this. This squad has got us right up there the last couple of seasons,why not give them that little extra help and belief to take things that bit further?

Marginal gains and all that.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 13 Nov 2018, 09:14

League express say's that Junior Sau has rejected us.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Nov 2018, 09:30

i heard that Junior wanted a longer contract than we were prepared to offer him, we have just let one of our best centres go because he was coming to the end of his career why would we want to sign another one my be not as good who as been around along time ??